After being ruled out of the presidential campaign, Murang’a Governor Mwangi wa Iria resumed his protests. This is against the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) which have barred him.
The IEBC blocked Wa Iria’s candidacy on Monday, claiming that he had not gathered enough signatures to be cleared as a presidential contender.
Mwangi wa Iria had only managed to submit signatures from 22 counties only which is short of the required 24.
Wa Iria and his supporters, on the other hand, remained steadfast. They set up camps at Anniversary Towers on Tuesday in the hopes of meeting Chebukati, who had refused to give them an audience.
The governor went on to suggest that the Bomas of Kenya were a crime scene. He claimed that the IEBC was telling Kenyans that they were validating signatures when they didn’t have a signature registry to do so.
Chebukati, on the other hand, argued that the only genuine signatures in Wa Iria’s submission came from five counties.
“The remaining signatures from 17 counties did not match the clearance requirement,” the IEBC chief said.
After Wa Iria’s supporters continued to demand that IEBC officials attend to him, a number of police officers were dispatched Monday morning to ensure order was maintained in the Bomas of Kenya.
Throughout, the election board officials remained in Kenya’s Bomas.
“Whose orders were it to lock us out?” Wa Iria was overheard asking the security guards at the Bomas of Kenya’s gate.
Wa-Iria had earlier said that as Kenyans they know their rights and no one will intimidate them.
“I will fight until the end to ensure that my name is on the ballot as a presidential contender, even if it means staging nationwide protests,” he declared.
Please remember to share your views, and follow to see more of these interesting articles.
Also leave a comment on the comment section concerning this article and story